Prep Time 40 mins
Duration 90 mins
- 2 medium to large aubergines
- Olive oil
- 1 onions, chopped
- 2 clove garlic, crushed
- 500 g lean minced lamb
- 400 g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch ground cumin
- 1 glass red wine
- 150 ml chicken stock
- 200 ml white sauce
- 2 eggs
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 180 g cheddar cheese, half mozzarella, half cheddar, grated
- 2 tbsp. fresh mint leaves, chopped
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 190°C/Gas Mark 5.
- Slice the aubergines and fry them on both sides in a large frying pan with a little olive oil.
- Drain on kitchen paper and place to one side. Using the same pan add a little more olive oil and fry the onions and garlic for about 5 minutes.
- Turn up the heat and add the minced lamb and brown it off, then add the tinned tomatoes, a pinch of cumin and cinnamon, add the red wine and cook on the hob whilst stirring until well mixed, then add the chopped mint and slowly stir in the stock bit by bit.
- Simmer until the sauce thickens.
- Layer the aubergine and lamb mix in an oven proof dish using several layers ending with a layer of aubergines.
- Combine the white sauce with the eggs, nutmeg and seasoning and spoon over the top of the mince and then scatter with the grated cheese until well covered.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- To make your own White Sauce:
- - 8g unsalted butter
- - 8g plain flour
- - 200ml cold milk
- - Salt/white pepper to season
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan, stir in the flour and cook for 1-2 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and slowly add in the milk stirring continuously to avoid getting a lumpy white sauce.
- Return to the heat and bring the sauce to the boil while still stirring. Allow the sauce to simmer gently for a further 6-8 minutes and season with the salt and white pepper.
- Recipe tips
- Leave to cool for 15-20 minutes before serving.
- Moussaka is often made with minced lamb. For a lower-fat version use minced turkey instead.
- Freezing instructions: Suitable for freezing once cooked. Defrost in the fridge or microwave and reheat until piping hot throughout.
Total Fat 14.1 gm
Saturated Fat 3.5 gm
Carbohydrates 7.9 gm
Fibre 1.3 gm
Protein 31.9 gm