- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1.5 kg boneless beef, cubed
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 400 g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 550 ml beef stock
- 3 tbsp. organic brown rice miso paste
- 150 g pearl barley, (thoroughly washed)
- 140 g sun roasted tomatoes
- fresh parsley, chopped to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 170°C/Gas Mark 3.
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan.
- Brown the beef, in about 4 batches, over a medium heat.
- Place the browned meat in a 2.5 litre casserole dish.
- Add the onion to the frying pan and fry until golden brown on a medium heat.
- Turn the heat down and add the garlic, frying for another minute to soften.
- Transfer the onions, garlic and meat in to the casserole dish.
- To this, add the canned tomatoes, beef stock and miso, and stir well.
- Cover and cook in the centre of the oven for 2 hours.
- Stir every half an hour and add extra water if it gets too dry. It needs to have a decent amount of sauce.
- Add the barley with 120ml of water and cook for another hour.
- Add the sun-dried tomatoes for the last 20 minutes and give the stew a good stir.
- Serve with a garnish of parsley.
Total Fat 26 gm
Saturated Fat 9 gm
Carbohydrates 49.4 gm
Fibre 7.7 gm
Protein 103 gm