Prep Time 25 mins
Duration 30 mins
- 2 cups blueberries, (500 mL) fresh or frozen (no need to defrost)
- 3 cups whole wheat flour, plus 1 Tbsp (765 mL) divided
- 1 Tbsp baking powder, (15 mL)
- 0.5 tsp baking soda, (2 mL)
- 10 Tbsp butter, (150 mL, or 1¼ stick) softened
- 0.75 cup sugar, (185 mL)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract, (5 mL)
- 1 tsp grated lemon zest, (5 mL)
- 1.5 cups plain yoghurt, (375 mL)
- Adjust the oven rack to the middle-lower part of the oven.
- Preheat oven to 375˚F.
- Line a standard muffin tin with paper liners, or grease each muffin cup individually. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, toss together blueberries with 1 Tbsp flour. Set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar together, beating until fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating until incorporated after each one.
- Beat in vanilla and lemon zest.
- For this step, make sure that you beat the ingredients until just incorporated. Do not over-beat.
- Beat in half of the dry ingredients until just incorporated.
- Beat in a third (½ cup/125 mL) of yogurt.
- Beat in half of the remaining dry ingredients.
- Beat in another third of the yogurt.
- Beat in the remaining dry ingredients, then the yogurt.
- Fold in the berries.
- Using a small ice cream scoop, distribute the muffin dough equally among the cups – for bigger muffins, fill the cups until they are nearly full, for smaller muffins, fill only to three-quarters full.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until the muffins are golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the centre of a muffin comes out clean.
Total Fat 7 gm
Saturated Fat 0 gm
Carbohydrates 29.1 gm
Fibre 0 gm
Protein 3 gm