Prep Time 30 mins
Duration 15 mins
- 140 g button mushrooms, sliced
- 50 g butter, plus extra for greasing
- 25 g plain flour
- 325 ml milk
- 85 g gruyere cheese, finely grated, plus a little extra
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 6 tsp crème fraîche
- chive, snipped , to serve
- Fry the mushrooms in the butter for about 3 mins, then remove from the heat and reserve a good spoonful.
- Add the flour to the rest, then blend in the milk and return to the heat, stirring all the time to make a thick sauce.
- Stir in the cheese, season to taste, then leave to cool.
- Heat oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6.
- Butter 8 x 150ml soufflé dishes and line the bases with baking paper.
- Stir the egg yolks into the soufflé mixture, then whisk the egg whites until stiff before folding in carefully.
- Spoon into the soufflé dishes and bake in a roasting tin, half-filled with cold water, for 15 mins until risen and golden.
- Leave to cool (they will sink, but they are meant to).
- You can make the soufflés up to this stage up to 2 days ahead.
- Cover and chill.
- When ready to serve, turn the soufflés out of their dishes, peel off the lining paper, then put them on a baking sheet lined with small squares of baking paper.
- Top each soufflé with 1 tsp crème fraîche and a little cheese, then scatter with the reserved mushrooms.
- Bake at 190C/fan 170C/gas 5 for 10-15 mins until slightly risen and warmed through.
- Sprinkle with chives and serve.
Total Fat 14 gm
Saturated Fat 8 gm
Carbohydrates 5 gm
Fibre 0 gm
Protein 8 gm