Prep Time 10 mins
Duration 55 mins
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 1 medium leeks, thinly sliced
- 1 large carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 medium fennel bulb, sliced
- 200 gm swede, cubed
- 200 gm celeriac, peeled and cubed
- 1 bay leaves
- fresh thyme, sprigs
- parsley, sprigs
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 400 gm tinned tomatoes, finely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 handful fresh parsley, chopped, to garnish
- Pour the vegetable oil in a large saucepan.
- Throw in the onion and cook for 3 minutes.
- Mix in the leek, carrot, sliced fennel, swede and celeriac, and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Tie the bay leaf, thyme and parsley sprigs together to make a bouquet garni.
- Next, pop the bouquet garni into the saucepan, with the vegetable stock and tomatoes.
- Season to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper and bring the mixture to the boil.
- Cover the pan, lower the heat and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Next, remove the bouquet garni and serve the soup piping hot with a garnish of parsley.
- Some mixed grain or wholemeal bread would be an ideal accompaniment for this dish!
Total Fat 17 gm
Saturated Fat 4 gm
Carbohydrates 24 gm
Fibre 7 gm
Protein 3 gm